Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Goodbye Uncle Joe

They say you learn something new every day. While that may be true, odds are these new truths may not be the most profound things in your mental databank. They're probably more along the lines of how many sheets are in one brand of toilet paper over another or which alien inhabited the cover of the tabloid you scanned when you were waiting to be checked out at the grocery aisle. That being said, I've decided to make a conscious effort to learn something new every day that stretches my woefully neglected mental muscles.

What brought this on? Well, there have been people in my life who've come and gone and I've respected a great deal. The most recent to go, I'm sad to say, was my uncle, Brother John Joseph Dolan. He died unexpectedly this past Thursday at the age of 59. Far, far too young. He was one hell of a guy. I know you have to say that when someone dies, but he really, truly was.

So who was my uncle? He was something different to every person he met. He was a son, a brother, a Franciscan, a friend, a role model, a leader and a servant. He was this and so much more. He had one of the sharpest and most inquisitive minds I've ever encountered. He had this way about him that somehow made you question everything you already thought you knew. He never once preached religion, politics, or social justice but we sure talked about those subjects.

When I think of Uncle Joe I think of Fantasy books and single malt scotch. He loved Irish music and his wayward family, :). He was sarcastic and serious at times. Fun and light hearted at others. He told the BEST stories. He'd been pretty much everywhere in the world and saw the reality and hardships of the world's people--things I have trouble even imagining--and it only increased his devotion to his beliefs. He expected people to be fair to each other. My kindergarden cousin couldn't even get away with bending the rules of a game. (And believe me, he and said five year old could debate the finer points of these rules for hours.)

I often try to be a better person and I owe that to the amazing role models I've had in my life. We should all strive to reach the limits of our potential. To my uncle that centered around his vows to God and ended in countless accomplishments. To me I guess it means keeping my mind, spirit and body healthy; to love and protect my family and to guide my son.

So here's to you Uncle Joe. If I had a Guinness in my fridge, I'd have one for you but I guess diet iced tea will have to do. Thanks for everything. Oh, and by the way today I learned the order of the presidents. Would it be cheating to spend two days on the years they were in office?

The road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment